Before we knew it, it was already September and many of our weekend days were booked up for the next two months with birthday celebrations and various engagements. We tried to make up some of that time by having Mike stay on the island during the week so we could work on the house after work. In case you’re wondering, yes, it was terrible working on the house after a day’s work with our real jobs. But, we had to keep things moving if we wanted to get the roof on before rainy season kicked into high gear.
Over the next few weekends, we installed the roof sheathing and tar paper. Working on the gable side of the house always got done pretty quick. But, when it came time to do any work on the bedroom loft roof, everything slowed way down and left us with plenty of room for little measurement mistakes due to the complexity of the design.
We then began preparing to install the metal roof which meant we had to get some of the trim pieces on first. I decided to go with a dark gray paint for the trim.
Once the trim on the eave was completed, we could finally start installing the metal roof. I decided to go with 29 gauge Ultra-Panel. It’s a bit more of a process to install than Snap-Loc, but it’s less expensive and also weighs less because it is a thinner gauge. This part went pretty smoothly. Although, again, quite a bit more work was put into the area above the bedroom loft.
Next came the windows. Windows were one of the very first purchases I made after the trailer. Since you have to build the frame of the windows into the frame of the house, you need to know very early on what size your windows are going to be. To save on cost, I looked for windows at salvage stores and was able to find half of my windows at Second Use in Sodo. This saved me a TON of money and not to mention it allowed me to reuse something that already existed instead of consuming another new product.